[HowTo] Flash Roms and Root a Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I recently used this to wipe a custom rom off of my Nexus after I got it off of Craigslist, and once again after the new ICS 4.0.4 came out.
INTRODUCING THE GALAXY NEXUS TOOLKIT
FUNCTIONS OF GALAXY NEXUS TOOLKIT V7.0 [GSM + LTE][31ST MAY 2012]
- Install correct adb/fastboot drivers automatically on Windows xp/vista/7 32bit+64bit
- Backup/Restore a single package or all apps, user data and Internal Storage
- Backup your /data/media (virtual SD Card) to your PC for a Full Safe backup of data
- Perform a FULL NANDROID Backup of your system (Boot, Cache, Data, Recovery and System) via adb and save in Custom Recovery format on your PC which can be Restored via CWM Recovery
- Pull /data and /system folders, compress to a .tar file and save to your PC
- Backup/Restore your /efs partition to your PC
- Dump selected Phone Partitions, compress to a .zip file with md5 and save to your PC
- Install BusyBox on your phone
- Extras, Tips and Tricks section available to all ToolKit Donators
- Mods section to automatically perform certain tasks on your phone
- 1-Click For All to Unlock, Root, Rename the Restore File and CWM
- Unlock/Re-Lock your Bootloader
- Download Google Stock Image files directly via the ToolKit
- Flash Google Stock Image to phone
- Root any public build of ICS automatically (ANY Stock build upto and including maguro/toro/toroplus 4.0.4)
- Rename the Recovery Restore File present on some Stock Roms
- Flash Stock Recovery, CWM Touch Recovery or TWRP Touch Recovery
- Boot into CWM Touch Recovery or TWRP Touch Recovery without Flashing it
- Boot or Flash .img Files directly from your PC
- Install a single apk or multiple apk’s to your phone
- Push Files from your PC to your phone
- Pull Files from your phone to your PC
- Dump selected LogCat buffers to your PC
- Dump BugReport to your PC
- Set Files Permissions on your phone
- Pull and Trim your Radio Image from your phone and save to your PC (thanks to josteink for Radio Trimmer)
- Open new Command Prompt for manual input
- Reboot Phone to Fastboot Mode or Android in fastboot mode
- Reboot Phone to Fastboot Mode, Recovery or Android in adb mode
- Turn Initial Start Screen On/Off for next use
!CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GALAXY NEXUS TOOLKIT V7.0! (MODS SECTION V1.7 INCLUDED)
NOTE: As the ToolKit.exe and ModsSection.exe files aren’t Digitally Signed with a Microsoft Certificate they ‘may’ get picked up as potentially harmful by Antivirus Programs and deleted on first run. If this happens restore the file and exclude it from future scans to use it.
THE PHONE MODS SECTION IS FOR EVERYONE AND CONTAINS AUTOMATED MODIFICATIONS FOR YOUR PHONE THAT YOU COULD DO ON YOUR OWN (IF YOU KNEW HOW) BUT I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD MAKE IT ALOT EASIER. AT PRESENT YOU CAN CHANGE THE DENSITY (DPI) OF YOUR SCREEN TO MAKE EVERYTHING LARGER OR SMALLER, ENABLE/DISABLE THE ’1 NO’ MOD ON CWM TO SAVE YOU HAVING TO SCROLL THROUGH ALL THOSE NO’S EVERYTIME YOU FLASH A ROM, ENABLE/DISABLE THE CAMERA SOUNDS EVEN IF YOU VOLUME IS AT FULL VOLUME (THE FOCUS SOUND CAN ONLY BE DISABLED ON 4.0.3 BUILDS), CHANGE THE CAMERA PROFILE SETTINGS TO ENABLE A HIGHER BITRATE WHEN USING THE CAMCORDER (AMONG OTHER THINGS) AND FORCE 100% SAVES ON THE CAMERA, CHANGE THE WIFI SCAN INTERVAL, DISABLE/ENABLE STARTUP BOOT ANIMATION AND CHANGE SCREEN COLOURCONTROL SETTINGS. I WILL ADD TO THIS AS I FIND NEW MODS
THE EXTRAS V.I.P. SECTION IS AVAILABLE TO DONATORS AND CONTRIBUTORS OF THE TOOLKIT AS A THANK YOU FROM ME. THIS SECTION CONTAINS BROWSER TIPS, GENERAL TIPS, KEYBOARD TIPS, MARKET TIPS, SCREEN TIPS, SECURITY TIPS AND SETTINGS TIPS AS WELL AS A FEW TRICKS YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR PHONE. I WILL CONTINUE TO ADD TO IT BUT IN NO WAY SHOULD YOU DONATE JUST TO SEE THE EXTRAS SECTION AS IT WAS ONLY MADE AS A THANK YOU. IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO DONATE THEN DONATE FOR THE GREAT AND FREE TO USE GALAXY NEXUS TOOLKIT
(Changelog at the Bottom of Post#1)
PLEASE READ THE *FAQ* IN POST#2 BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS
1. INSTALLING ADB/FASTBOOT DRIVERS
The first thing you need to do is to install the adb/fastboot drivers. These are needed so that you can unlock your bootloader, root your phone and flash CWM (ClockworkMod) Recovery.
THE DRIVERS CAN NOW BE INSTALLED DIRECTLY VIA THE TOOLKIT. OPTION 1 IN THE MAIN MENU.
IF YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH THE TOOLKIT INSTALLING THE DRIVERS PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD WITH YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION AND ERROR MESSAGE.
a. If you dont want to use the ToolKit to install the drivers then the best best drivers to try are PdaNet for Android, download and run the 32-bit Windows 7/Vista/XP or 64-bit Windows 7/Vista and follow the instructions to install (selecting Samsung as your device manufacturer if asked).
You can remove pdanet for Android from your phone and pc at a later time without removing the drivers.
b. After the drivers have been installed disconnect the usb cable and shut down your phone. Keep holding the ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Volume Down’ buttons and press the ‘Power’ button to boot the phone into FastBoot Mode.
c. Goto your Control Panel on your PC and open the Device Manager. You want this open so you can see the FastBoot driver is installed or so you can install it manually.
d. Connect the usb cable. In the Device Manager a new item called ‘Android 1.0′ should pop up and then the driver should install automatically. Once it is installed you will have a new section in the Device Manager called Android Phone without an “!” meaning its installed correctly.
Note 1: If the driver doesnt install automatically then double click on the Android 1.0 item, then click on the driver tab and select ‘update driver’. Select ‘browse my computer’ and then ‘Let me pick from a list’. If no items appear in the list then untick ‘Show compatible hardware’ and find the Android adb driver or Samsung adb driver.
Note 2: If you are still having problems setting up the fastboot drivers then have a read of *THIS* guide which may help you.
Note 3: Samsung Verizon Drivers can be downloaded *HERE*. These drivers will most probably only work on LTE devices.
Note 4: Sprint users may have better luck downloading drivers from *HERE* (click on ‘See All Downloads’ then select ‘Software’ at the bottom) if you cant get the automatic drivers to work from the ToolKit.
2. USING MSKIPS’ GALAXY NEXUS TOOLKIT V7.0
a. Download the Galaxy Nexus ToolKit package and run to install the ToolKit to your PC. The installation will also create a Shortcut on your desktop for easy access. You now have the option to include or exclude the drivers files at installation so if you already have your drivers set up and are just updating the ToolKit then you can untick the drivers if you wish.
b. Once the ToolKit is installed put your phone into Fastboot Mode (Hold ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Volume Down’ buttons whilst pressing the ‘Power’ Button) and double click on the ‘Galaxy Nexus ToolKit v5.2′ shortcut on your desktop to run it. You can also connect your phone whilst it is in Android as it detects adb mode and you can boot to Fastboot from the Main Menu if you want to.
c. The first screen will ask you which model and Build you have (GSM or LTE) and set up the Main Menu accordingly.
d. When you enter the Main Menu you will see ‘Fastboot Mode’ and ‘Adb Mode’ at the top. If you have installed your drivers correctly then you will see your phones serial number under the mode you are in at the time. If you see this then your device is connected and you can carry on.
e. Each option has full information on what it is and how to use it.
f. After you have finished you can either boot straight into CWM Recovery to flash a Custom Rom (if you have already downloaded one and copied it to the root of your Internal Memory on your phone) or boot back into Android as normal.
3. FLASHING A ROM, RADIO OR KERNEL VIA CWM RECOVERY
a. Download your chosen Rom, Radio or Kernel from the Development Forum, then make sure your phone is booted up as normal and connect your usb cable so it goes into MTP Mode. Copy the .zip file (DO NOT UNZIP IT FIRST) to the ‘Internal Storage’ part on your phone. Do not copy it to a Sub Directory as it will be harder to find when flashing it.
b. Enter CWM Recovery by first entering the Fastboot mode Screen (Disconnect the usb cable (if you have one plugged in), then shut down your phone. Keep holding the ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Volume Down’ buttons and press the ‘Power’ button to boot the phone into FastBoot Mode), then select ‘Recovery mode’ by pressing the ‘Volume Down’ button and then press the ‘Power’ button to enter CMW Recovery.
You can also enter Recovery by downloading Rom Manager (free from the Market) which gives you the option to reboot to Recovery.
c. Scroll down to ‘Install zip from sdcard’ and select. Then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
d. Scroll to your Roms’ zip file and select. Then scroll down to ‘Yes’ in the list and select to start flashing the Rom.
e. When flashing is finished select ‘Go Back’ until you get to the Main Menu and then select ‘reboot system now’ to reboot your phone into Android.
How to get into your FastBoot Mode
1. Turn your phone off
2. Unplug your usb cable if you have one plugged in
3. Keep holding the ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Volume Down’ buttons and press the ‘Power’ button to boot the phone into FastBoot Mode
How to get into ClockworkMod Recovery
1. First boot into FastBoot Mode as described above
2. Scroll down with the ‘Volume Down’ button until it says ‘Recovery mode’ at the top and press the ‘Power’ button to enter Recovery
Show the Menu in the Stock Recovery Screen
1. Hold the Power button and keep holding as you press the Volume Up button. The blue recovery menu screen should pop up.
ToolKit v7.0 (31st May 2012) BIG UPDATE!
+Added ability to perform a FULL NANDROID Backup of your system (Boot img, Cache tar, Data tar, Recovery img and System tar) via adb and save in Custom Recovery format on your PC which can be Restored via CWM Recovery
* Added /data and /system folders backup, compress to a .tar file and save to your PC
* Added Backup/Restore of your /efs partition
* Added Dump of selected Phone Partitions, compress to a .zip file with md5 and save to your PC
* Added Install BusyBox binary on your phone
* Moved backup/restore options to a single screen
* Tidied up alot of text on screens